Youth Dance Instruction
Group Classes (currently available via Online Classes):
Youth group classes at Studio 22 offer a curriculum in Latin and Ballroom partner styles for children ages 5 - 17. Whether dancing competitively, or simply for fun, learning to dance in a healthy, creative environment expands imaginations, builds self-esteem, boosts self-confidence, promotes self-discipline, and establishes a sense of teamwork and cooperation. Our goal is that students develop a lifelong love of dance that will be a skill for years to come!
Youth classes are taught as part of a progressive series, so students should join no later than the 14th of the month. Styles will change on a monthly/bi-monthly basis in order to cover the basics of all of the foundation styles. Each class is 90 minutes in length!
- Youth Crew 1 - Thursdays at 2:30 PM (ages 5 - 12)
- Teen Crew 1 - Thursdays at 1:00 PM (ages 13 - 17)
- Youth Crew 2 - Saturdays at 1:30 PM (ages 5 - 17)
Students will be promoted into Level 2 classes by the instructor when they have demonstrated the necessary skills in timing, footwork, partnering, and musicality. If your child has previously taken group or private instruction at another studio or location, we recommend talking with the instructor to ensure correct placement. The instructor may recommend a private lesson for evaluation purposes. If you need to discuss your child's placement, please contact us at 972.490.0022.
Private Lessons: Youth private lessons are available in all styles of partner dance for students ages 5 - 17. Styles include International Latin, American Rhythm, International Standard, American Smooth, Club Latin (Salsa, Bachata, etc.), Swing, Argentine Tango, Country Western, etc.
Performance/Competition: Students interested in performance and/or competition opportunities should talk with their instructor for more information on requirements, options, and pricing. Instructors regularly take students to competitions, both local, national, and international, and Studio 22 also offers performance opportunities at Showcases.
Parents/Guardians: You must accompany your student to the first day of class. (Students younger than 14 should always be accompanied to class.) You will need to:
- Complete the New Student Registration for each child enrolled before the first day of class, if at all possible.
[NOTE: Each student needs to be registered - by a parent/legal guardian - separately under his/her own name. If you are registering more than one student please make sure to 1) log out completely between registrations, and 2) use a different password with each student. If you are not completely logged out between registrations, or if you use the same email/password with each registration, you will overwrite the previous registration(s).]
- Complete payment for classes with your preferred payment option. Pricing options range from $12 - $15/class, depending on the package chosen. All payment options are priced per individual student, and may not be divided. [Students who are new to Studio 22 also have the option of doing a Youth New Student Trial to try out the first class at our studio.]
- Students should arrive 15 - 20 minutes early on their first visit, and must be accompanied by their parent/legal guardian. (After your child's first visit, we recommend arriving 10 minutes before class begins to check in.)
Clothing and shoes:
- As with adults, we recommend youth wear modest street clothes or athletic attire that they're comfortable moving in. (Students do not need to wear leotards/tights, but something relatively form-fitting is helpful for ensuring correct movement and body alignment.)
- Shoes are the most important part of dance attire: choose shoes that support your child's heel and have a leather sole. As your child's dancing progresses, you will want to consider purchasing a pair of dance shoes, which have a flexible suede sole, and are designed give the dancer better control and maintain correct body alignment. Ballroom shoes are available for purchase at Studio 22, and we recommend bring your child in for fittings at least a week before class begins so that we can help you select and/or order the right shoe. We offer Very Fine youth shoes, and Very Fine and Bloch adult sizes for sale in our studio. (Fittings are offered before 5:00 PM; we recommend allowing up to 30 minutes.)
Drop-Off & Pick Up: Students should be dropped off & picked up by a parent/guardian. If you arrive before class begins, please wait with your child until the start of class. Students should be picked up promptly at the end of class if the parent does not elect to observe classes - we do not provide after-class childcare.
Please feel free to call the Studio with any additional questions at (972) 490-0022.
What People Are Saying...